I’m doing a workshop at the end of this month for people that want to use sign language with infants and toddlers (hearing and deaf/hard of hearing), so I compiled this list of online resources, lessons/curriculum, books, media and products. Many of the links go to Amazon.com but you can find them elsewhere as well. Enjoy!
Sign Language Resources
American Sign Language Browser
Apps for Kids with Hearing Loss
Described and Captioned Media Program
- THOUSANDS of titles on a variety of educational subjects including a nice selection of sign language materials – some are on DVD but others you can stream right away
- Search “sign language” or “baby sign language” for a variety of pages and groups that discuss using ASL with children
First 100+ ASL Signs
Sign with your baby Yahoo! Group
- Great resource for those who want to continue their ASL skills, all signs are demonstrated via video clips – first 100 signs, FREE ASL lessons, dictionary, fingerspelling practice, downloadable fonts
Baby Sign Language
- Program designed for hearing babies, uses mostly ASL signs but they are open to homemade signs, lots of products and activities
Sign2Me Early Learning Resources
- Finding signing classes, network with other instructors, newsletter, products for purchase
- More great video clips of searchable signs, also the ability to make wordlists, flashcards and quizzes, monthly/annual fee required to access full member benefits including mobile apps (iOS and Android)
- HUGE collection of DVDs and activities across a broad range of ages and topics, information on local classes, newsletter to get Sign of the Week
Visual Language and Visual Learning (VL2)
Baby Sign Language Books and Kits
Baby Signs: How to Talk to Your Baby Before Your Baby Can Talk, Third Edition, by Linda Acredolo, Ph.D. and Susan Goodwyn, Ph.D. with Douglas Abrams
- Information from long-term study on signing with hearing babies funded by NIH. Contains findings and includes developmental information, strategies and signing activities. This latest edition does incorporate using ASL signs as well as some “baby-friendly alternatives” (not formal ASL signs).
Signing Smart series by Michelle E. Anthony, M.A., Ph.D. and Reyna Lindert, Ph.D.
- Simple, straightforward technique for signing with babies, compatible with other ASL methods. Contains fun signing activities and songs.
Sign, Sing and Play!, Baby Sign Language Basics, Songs for Little Hands series by Monta Z. Briant
- Great board books, activities and music for your infant and toddler
Dancing with Words: Signing for Hearing Children’s Literacy by Marilyn Daniels
- Focus on how signing with hearing children enhances literacy and reading skills
Sign with your Baby products by Joseph Garcia
- DVD series and instructional manual for using ASL with your child
Baby Signs board book series by Linda Acredolo, Susan Goodwyn and Penny Gentieu Baby Signs by Joy Allen Signs for Me: Basic Sign Vocabulary for Children, Parents & Teachers by Ben Bahan and Joe Dannis Teach Your Baby to Sign: An Illustrated Guide to Simple Sign Language for Babies by Monica Beyer A Beginner’s Book of Signs series by Angela Bednarczyk and Janet Weinstock Baby Signing 1-2-3: The Easy-to-Use Illustrated Guide for Every Stage and Every Age by Nancy Cadjan Early Sign Language Signs series by Stanley Collins My First Book of Sign Language by Joan Holub You Can Learn sign Language! by Jackie Kramer and Tali Ovadia Sign and Sign Along series by Annie Kubler Sign About series by Anthony Lewis Sabuda & Reinhart Pop-Ups: Baby Signs by Kyle Olmon and Jacqueline Rogers Sign Babies ASL Flashcard series by Sign Babies First Book of Sign Language series by Debbie Slier Baby’s First Signs series by Kim Votry and Curt Waller Simple Signs and More Simple Signs by Cindy Wheeler
Baby Sign Language Basics: Early Communication for Hearing Babies and Toddlers Instructional DVD Baby Einstein: My First Signs series with Marlee Matlin Baby See ‘n Sign series with Joanna Larson-Muhr Blue’s Clues: All Kinds of Signs VHS Goodnight Moon Sign Language Gift Set
- Includes 9 popular children’s books and a sign language poster
Happy Signs Day: Sign Language for Babies and Toddlers and Happy Signs Night: Learn Baby Sign Language Sign-A-Lot: The Big Surprise and Sign-A-Lot: ABC Games
- Shows elementary age kids signing.
Sign Language Products
Busy Bee Learning
- Products with hands fingerspelling – clocks, signs, etc.
Garlic Press Sign Language Series and products
- For beginners and beyond, books, games and other products
Gallaudet University Press
- Variety of media for beginners and more advanced signers, information on Deaf culture
- Customized clothing and other novelties
- Variety of media for beginners and more advanced signers
Label and Learn
- Activities online, app, books, DVDs